Translate AMICOR contents if you like

Thursday, May 05, 2016

Networking

Science  06 May 2016:
Vol. 352, Issue 6286, pp. 738
DOI: 10.1126/science.352.6286.738
When I was a young researcher, networking did not come naturally to me. I am a quiet person, and I preferred to engage with people I was already familiar with. However, I saw that many successful networkers also had successful careers with thriving, collaborative research programs and frequent speaking invitations. So, during my postdoc, I started making an effort to overcome my reclusive tendencies and build my professional network—and it has paid off. The network that I have built has championed my career advancement and contributed to my intellectual and professional development. Many of the opportunities that have come my way, including a tenure-track assistant professorship that I will begin next fall, have arisen from networking.
ILLUSTRATION: ROBERT NEUBECKER
“As an initially hesitant networker, I have picked up some tips.”

No comments: