Translate AMICOR contents if you like

Sunday, December 13, 2015

CT Scan

Rcomendado pelo AMICOR Reginaldo Hollanda Albuquerque
Steven E. Nissen, MD: Hello. I'm Steve Nissen. I'm a cardiologist with the Cleveland Clinic, and I'm here with Dr Peter Libby of the Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston. We're going to talk about CT scanning for calcium scoring, and specifically using CT scanning to determine who should get statins.[1]
Peter, you and I agree on this particular topic. Perhaps you can start by giving your perspective.
Peter Libby, MD: Well, let me just tell you my objections to the recent proposition that we should do mass screening with calcium score to allocate statins. My first concern is that any technique that involves radiation has a radiation risk. Then, I'm concerned about the "incidentaloma" effect. I'm concerned about what I call "Pandora's box," and I think that we agree about that. We also have to worry about clinical effectiveness and cost-effectiveness. I'd like to discuss those issues and put them on the table./.../

No comments: