Translate AMICOR contents if you like

Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Increase in women doctors changing the face of medicine

Chicago Tribune: Increase in women doctors changing the face of medicine
With women becoming doctors in ever-increasing numbers, medicine is generally becoming more patient friendly, treatment is improving and malpractice suits may become less common, experts say.

But, they add, the feminization of medicine is helping to lower physician salaries, encourage part-time doctoring and exacerbate a looming shortage of physicians.

The change in the medical field has been swift and dramatic. Since 1975 the percentage of female doctors has nearly tripled, from 9 percent to 25 percent. And the wave is far from cresting: 38 percent of doctors under age 44 are women, and half the students in U.S. medical schools are women, a change that is expected to intensify.

(Reference from Jorge Ossanai)

1 comment:

Aloyzio Achutti said...

Thanks for you comment on the matter Women & Medicine.
I hope other AMICOR as well as other readings start to use this Blog facility, contributing with comments and their knowledge to build an actual big collective intelligence.
The tendency to have more women as physicians I think is a worldwide phenomenon, and I hope assuring preservation of the human and fundamental medicine values.
When I entered the school of medicine (53 years ago) I had 5% women, now they are the majority.
I revised the AMICOR list and I accounted 28% of them being women.
The idea to collect information and stories of women in our profession I think is a good initiative.
In this way I recall me two facts from Brazil (for while):
1- The first Brazilian woman physician, Rita Lobato, was born in 1866 in our State of Rio Grande do Sul, studied Medicine in the second Brazilian school of medicine in Rio de Janeiro and Salvador Bahia, (the first one).where she completed her course.
http://www.scielo.br/pdf/jbpml/v39n1/en_v39n1a00.pdf
2- The school of Medicine where I studied, in Porto Alegre, was the third school of medicine in Brazil, founded in 1898, Among the first students, completing the course in 1904, there was also a woman, Alice Maeffer,

I reinforce the invitation from Catherine Colleman to collect more facts on the role of the women in Medicine.
Sincerely
AA