Translate AMICOR contents if you like

Saturday, June 16, 2012

social gap


When I feed the poor, they call me a saint, but when I ask why the poor are hungry, they call me a communist.
Dom Helder Camara

Divided we stand: as middle class shrinks, gap between Winnipeg's rich and poor widens

Steve Swartz in the doorway of his once-grand rooming house. 
'I get pissed off. I'd love to go back to work. If I could, I would.'
PHIL HOSSACK / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS Enlarge Image
Steve Swartz in the doorway of his once-grand rooming house. 'I get pissed off. I'd love to go back to work. If I could, I would.'
Steve Swartz slowly opens the battered wooden door of his legendary Spence Street rooming house. He blinks into the sun, greeting two strangers cautiously.
Life has been hard on the 49-year-old. He's been on disability for five years, he says, and never expects to hold another job. Welfare pays $285 toward his $385 monthly rent. He has two rooms, no private bathroom. Swartz has to scramble to make up the rent shortage and feed himself./.../

No comments: