Translate AMICOR contents if you like

Monday, August 19, 2019

The world before vaccines

The world before vaccines is a world we can’t afford to forget

Measles is now resurgent in the United States and many other countries. Historical amnesia is partly to blame.


Boys at St. Joan of Arc Catholic School in Queens, New York, line up to receive the smallpox vaccine in April 1947. The disease had claimed two lives, spurring city health officials to launch a mass vaccination program.
PHOTOGRAPH BY BETTMANN, GETTY


Like most American children of my generation, I lined up with my classmates in the mid-1950s to get the first vaccine for polio, then causing 15,000 cases of paralysis and 1,900 deaths a year in the United States, mostly in children. Likewise, we lined up for the vaccine against smallpox, then still causing millions of deaths worldwide each year. I’ve continued to update my immunizations ever since, including a few exotic ones for National Geographic assignments abroad, among them vaccines for anthrax, rabies, Japanese encephalitis, typhoid, and yellow fever.
Having grown up in the shadow of polio (my uncle was on crutches for life), and having made first-hand acquaintance with measles (I was part of the pre-vaccine peak year of 1958, along with 763,093 other young Americans), I’ve happily rolled up my sleeve for any vaccine recommended by my doctor and the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, with extra input for foreign travel from the CDC Yellow Book. I am deeply grateful to vaccines for keeping me alive and well, and also for helping me return from field trips as healthy as when I set out.
One result of this willingness, however, is that I suffer, like most people, from a notorious Catch-22: Vaccines save us from diseases, then cause us to forget the diseases from which they save us. Once the threat appears to be gone from our lives, we become lax. Or worse, we make up other things to worry about. Thus, some well-meaning parents avoid vaccinating their children out of misplaced fear that the MMR vaccine (for measles, mumps, and rubella) causes autism. Never mind that independent scientific studies have repeatedly demonstrated that no such link exists, most recently in a study of 657,000 children in Denmark. (Discover the strange history of vaccines.)
Vaccine Victories
Since the 1940s, as new vaccines have been released (black line), the incidence of infectious diseases that once afflicted hundreds of thousands of Americans has plummeted. Polio and rubella are gone from the U.S.; diptheria is rare. It used to kill up to 1

No comments: