Translate AMICOR contents if you like

Saturday, September 14, 2019

Science

Science is deeply imaginative: why is this treated as a secret?


My latest bookThe Poetry and Music of Science (2019), starts with my experiences of visiting schools and working with sixth-form pupils in general-studies classes. These students, aged 17-18, would tell me that they just didn’t see in science any room for their own imagination or creativity. Not just on one occasion but repeatedly I heard this from young people bright enough to have succeeded at any subject to which they set their minds. 
********************
Einstein did of course have something to say on the matter. As he told an interviewer in 1929:
I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.

No comments: