Translate AMICOR contents if you like

Thursday, August 03, 2017

Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind

Conversando hoje (05/08/2017) com o AMICOR e meu colega de turma José Peyrano Maciel, ele comentava com entusiasmo que estava lendo este livro e eu não lemb rava que havia postado esta outra apreciação do mesmo livro...

Today's encore selection -- from Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind by Yuval Noah HarariThe dominant languages of the world today are those of bureaucracy, machines and mathematics, and they have gradually changed the way humans think and view the world:

"In the brain, all data is freely associated. When I go with my spouse to sign on a mortgage for our new home, I am reminded of the first place we lived together, which reminds me of our honeymoon in New Orleans, which reminds me of alligators, which remind me of dragons, which remind me of The Ring of the Nibelungen, and suddenly, before I know it, there I am humming the Siegfried leitmotif to a puzzled bank clerk. In bureaucracy, things must be kept apart. There is one 'drawer' for home mortgages, another for marriage certificates, a third for tax registers, and a fourth for lawsuits. Otherwise, how can you find anything? Things that belong in more than one drawer, like Wagnerian music dramas (do I file them under 'music', 'theatre', or perhaps invent a new category altogether?), are a terrible headache. So one is forever adding, deleting and rearranging drawers.


Binary Code/.../

No comments: