Translate AMICOR contents if you like

Thursday, September 06, 2018

A glimpse at the future


Artigo de um querido colega (formado em 1961)que há muito tempo não encontramos. Enviado pelo AMICOR Reginaldo Hollanda Albuquerque (Brasília)

One should not try to guess what the future holds without considering the past. I state this only to justify my references to personal experiences in the Faculty of Medicine when intending to scrutinize the future that awaits the pathologists. (THIS SENTENCE IS NOT MINE. GMB)
In the 1970s, the nonsense that the Brazilian scientific agencies should preferably support projects of applied sciences became a reality. The stupidity of unqualified ministries is not a contemporary issue. This fact upset me substantially, since I could not see any sense in classifying science in “pure” and “applied” terms. I think that the predictability of benefits offered by the fruits of science is crucially complex and, to say the least, doubtful; it is much better to classify science as either “good” or “bad”. The dominant silliness also detracted my line of research, which consisted of the investigation of pulmonary microcirculation permeability using rats as an experimental model. I could no longer get resources for my projects. As the traditional wisdom taught me to dance according to the music, I submitted a “Project on Atmospheric Pollution” to FAPESP (Research Support Foundation of the State of São Paulo), with the help of professors Lawther and Spector from the St. Bartholomew’s Medical School of London where I did my post doctorate. After all, I knew a bit about rat lungs and suspected that they should suffer from air pollution just like us and, thus, at least I would continue to investigate pulmonary pathology./...//.../

No comments: