Translate AMICOR contents if you like

Saturday, September 12, 2020

British Phrases

I’m back, Chaps & Chapesses! You survived Part 1, so why not…

 

Raghav Jain in SlackjawMember only content3 min read

1. “Arry Po-ah.”

Translation: “Harry Potter.”

2. “You must come home for supper sometime.”

Translation: Don’t actually show up now, I’m merely being polite.

3. “I’ll let you get on then.”

Translation: I’ve had enough of you for now, goodbye.

4. “There’s a heatwave coming.”

Translation: Cloudy skies with 25mph northerly gusts. A high of 16 degrees Celsius/61 degrees Fahrenheit and a 30% chance of precipitation.

5. “No worries if you can’t make it.”

Translation: I’m keeping my fingers and toes crossed that you don’t show up.

6. “I’d love to, but maybe another time.”

Translation: More chances of you spotting a dancing hippo than me doing this.

7. “Could you possibly put this in an email?”

Translation: I stopped listening 4 seconds into the conversation and it is far too embarrassing to admit now.

8. “Not ideal.”

Translation: It’s the Apocalypse.

9. “I’m sure it’ll be fine.”

Translation: About time you finished with your sob story.

10. “Fancy a quick pint down the pub?”

Translation: Fancy getting smashed until 4 am and waking up with our faces marinating in doner kebab?

11. “They’re alright once you get to know them.”

Translation: They’re muppets of the mind-numbing variety.

12. “I’m poorly.”

Translation: I have a hangover that would slay an elephant.

13. “What have you got on presently?”

Translation: An avalanche of work is heading your way any minute.

14. “She’s made a dog’s dinner of that.”

Translation: I asked her to tie me up and treat me mean. She tied me up and went out shopping for an hour.

15. “There was some argy-bargy.”

Translation: The police were called. Jam first/cream on top or cream first/jam on top of scones, they just couldn’t settle it.

16. “Not sure if face coverings will help with the current situation.”

Translation: That’s infinitely less space for tea and shortbread fingers.

17. “It’s literally the next thing on my list.”

Translation: You’ve just reminded me, now go away. Oh, and there is no list.

18. “He’s just a few sandwiches short of a picnic.”

Translation: He’s a staggering, floundering, blundering nutcase.

19. “I’m not quite sure I follow.”

Translation: What an astounding load of balderdash, someone get rid of him now.

20. “You look ever so slightly tired.”

Translation: You look like you have been sleeping upside down in a rubbish bin.

21. “Well yeah, that’s one way of seeing it.”

Translation: Well no, that’s the wrong way of seeing it.

22. “It was working just fine a moment ago.”

Translation: What on earth have you done to break it?

23. “Each to their own.”

Translation: You’re wrong but I’m far too knackered to argue any longer.

24. “Black Lives Ma-ah.”

Translation: Black Lives Matter.


If you were bonkers enough to miss Part 1, where the buggery bollocks were you? Fine, I’ll give you another chance:

No comments: